The Ortofon Super OM Cartridges OM Series- The new Super OM cartridges have been designed on the basis of Ortofon's lightweight moving magnet system - originally introduced in the OM (Optimum Match) Series - with two major refinements. By means of advanced computer simulation methods, it has been possible to define the natural pivot point of the system with unprecedented accuracy while achieving an optimum oscillation balance. This translates into improved linearity, higher channel separation, and reduced distortion.
In addition, Ortofon has succeeded in developing a technique by which to slit the less than 1 mm diameter hollow pole pins, thus significantly reducing eddy current losses caused by magnetic hysteresis. This sophisticated technology extends the frequency range and improves phase linearity. The cartridge body is manufactured from a Noryl plastic/glass combination, which ensures high rigidity, and freedom from resonances.
Three Different Styli, Three Levels of Performance All three Super OM models have the same body, construction, and magnetic circuitry. The only difference is the interchangeable stylus unit.
Choose between a nude fineLine stylus (Super OM 30), a nude elliptical stylus (Super OM 20), or an elliptical stylus (Super OM 10), all of which are cut and polished to the highest standards of the industry.
For demanding purposes, the Fine Line stylus is particularly recommended. This slim profile will track even the highest frequency groove information, At the same time, its larger than normal footprint ensures reduced distortion and record wear.
Naturally, you can upgrade a Super OM 10 to a Super OM 20, or even a Super OM 30 at any time. Your only expense will be the cost of the stylus unit. And if the original stylus is not worn out, you can still use it for less demanding applications.
The Super OM stylus units are also compatible with all the bodies of the entire ortofon OMP line. IF you own an OM cartridge, you are able to enjoy the improved stylus and cantilever technology of the Super OM range. However, it takes a Super OM body with Ortofon's new magnetic circuitry to realize the full Super OM potential.
Ortofon OM5E Technical Data
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 4 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz 2 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz 22 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz 15 dB
- Frequency range at - 3dB 20-25.000 Hz
- Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz ± 2 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force *) 65 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral 20 µm/mN
- Stylus type Elliptical
- Stylus tip radius r/R 8/18 µm
- Tracking force range 1,5-2,0 g (15-20 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended 1,75 g (17,5 mN)
- Tracking angle 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance 750 Ohm
- Internal inductance 450 mH
- Recommended load resistance 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance 200-600 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus Black/Black
- Cartridge weight 5 g
- Replacement stylus unit Stylus 5 E