The Rega Mira 3 is a high performance audio amplifier using the improved “type 3” Rega Alpha-Encoder control system comprising of high quality lossless relays, plus a digitally controlled analogue switched resistor network volume control. It's housed in the Rega custom-built extruded aluminium case incorporating a high thermal efficiency heat sink. Rega has kept the same level of performance and synergy between stages as in the original Mira 2000 amplifier with a better level of functionality and controllability in the volume control and user interface.
The Mira 3 is a 60W integrated amplifier with full flexibility within the range. It has a preamplifier output and power amplifier input. The gain of the power amplifier is 28dB for full output, and thus enables the amplifier to be expanded to drive bi-amplifiers or active speaker systems. It can also drive multiple speakers if required or be part of a high performance AV system. The amplifier has a fully short circuit and DC protected output stage and high quality Evox film capacitors have been used in the signal path throughout.
The volume level is controlled via a microprocessor, which in turn takes its information from the volume digital encoder on the front panel or remote control handset. The volume control has a resolution of 1dB per step, giving a total range of 80 steps over the available gain or volume range of 80dB. There is a calibrated LED display comprising of 20 LEDs that indicates the gain level or relative position of the volume control. This is calibrated in 4dB steps across the total gain or volume range. The left and right channels are matched and balanced within 0.2dB, ensuring a centrally placed soundstage no matter the volume and gain level.
The stepped resistive networks of the volume control are placed in the feedback and input circuits of the IC based line amplifier, thereby optimizing the gain of the line amplifier for the best signal to noise ratio. Also, the stepped resistive network provides the amplifier input with constant input impedance, providing the source component (CD, tuner, tape, etc.) with a constant impedance load and eliminating the possible changes in sound quality with different volume positions.
Rega Mira 3 Features and Specifications
- Highly versatile, can be used as a preamplifier or a power amplifier in AV systems
- Full flexibility within the range
- Improved version 3 Rega Alpha-Encoder control system
- Digital control of the analogue switched resistor volume control and input relays
- Calibrated LED electronic volume display
- High performance switched resistor volume control
- Rega Custom built extruded aluminium case
- High quality relays used in the input switching
- Common base driver stage as used in the Maia and Exon amplifiers
- Can drive the most of awkward of speaker systems
- Dual tape outputs
- High quality plated-through-hole printed circuit board, using silver coating technology