PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Integrated Amplifier, Silver (OPEN)
Serial number: S2766646
Tubes: PrimaLuna EL34 x 4, PrimaLuna 12AU7 x 4
Notes: Blemish on rear left, see photos
With remote, manual, power cord, original box
Take your 100 watt amp and put it on eBay. Or have a yard sale. You’ll never hook it up again.
We don’t want you to compare the ProLogue Premium to an integrated that sells for $2399. That’s too easy. We want you to compare it to an integrated that sells for $5000. Compare it for the things that really count. Build quality like point-to-point wiring. Premium parts like an Alps Blue Velvet Volume control. Custom-wound output transformers for super-wide bandwidth and REAL bass that has punch and follow-through. Engineering like Adaptive AutoBias, Bad Tube Indicator, Super Quiet Relay source selection instead of cheap switches, and SmartWatts which assures you no headaches that for years have been associated with tubes. No longer will you be a slave to worry about how much time you left your amp on. Turn it up. Have fun. Use it every day. All day.
You can compare the sound and it will become immediately apparent. But if that's not possible, don't worry. The most well-known experts in audio have done it for you. While most products you read about get good reviews, they don't get chosen by the experts for their own personal use.
Bob Deutsch, an expert in audio and a well-known senior reviewer at Stereophile magazine, reviewed the ProLogue Premium in 2012. Not only did he give it a great review, he loved it so well he asked if he could continue to use it for writing reviews of top-name loudspeakers. For years now it's been mentioned in the pages of Stereophile, but in one 2015 review in particular, he really summed it up by saying:
Did he say Martin Logan Montis? Those big electrostats? Yup. Just like in solid state, you can have a 100 watt receiver and it doesn’t sound as good as a high quality 50 watt amp. As an experienced audiophile, you probably already know that power has nothing to do with sound quality. Here is proof. Speaker reviews written by a qualified professional using a 36 watt amp. Welcome to the world of educated buyers.
As with all PrimaLuna components, the ProLogue Premium Integrated is made by hand with the finest point-to-point wiring and quality equal to—or better than—any product you can buy at any price. Built using premium parts featuring: ceramic tube sockets; Solen and Nichicon capacitors; WBT-style solid core speaker terminals; ALPS Blue Velvet volume control; gold-plated RCA jacks; toroidal power transformer. All packaged in a high-gloss, hand-rubbed finish.
- Adaptive AutoBias. As with all PrimaLuna amps, you never have to worry about biasing your amp ever again. You can even just flip a switch, and the board is re-calibrated for EL34, KT88, KT120 & KT150.
- SuperQuiet Inputs. Input selector switches mounted on the front panel requires long wires to run from the switch in the front to the rear RCA jacks, and they invite stray noise like RF and EMI. Additionally, audio quality degrades as the switch gets dirty and worn and they present crosstalk between the inputs. This crosstalk causes noise which obscures micro details in the music. PrimaLuna has a better way. Instead of a switch, input selection is done using premium quality sealed relays made by Fujitsu in Japan, mounted in the rear where you plug in your components. When an input is selected, that relay closes giving you the best connection possible. All the other relays are left open, so noise and signals from other sources can’t leak in. Relays open and close, so there is no selector switch wiper to get dirty, noisy, or wear out. The signal path is now much shorter. In fact it’s almost non-existent, so there are no long wires to pick up noise.
- ALPS Blue Velvet Potentiometer. The ALPS Blue Velvet motorized volume control tracks better so a defined stereo image is established and doesn't collapse as you raise and lower volume. And it will stay quiet, adhering to PrimaLuna's guiding principle of "Built to last a lifetime". This part alone costs ten times more than a simple "chip" that we could have used.
- BTI-circuit. BTI stands for "Bad Tube Indicator." On the chassis’ deck in front of each power tube, is a small LED that lights up if the tube goes bad. This circuit works hand-in-hand with the new Adaptive Auto-Bias circuit.
- PTP-circuit. If the power transformer should overheat, this "Power Transformer Protection" circuit cuts primary power, allows the amp to cool down, then resets itself.
- OTP-circuit. The "Output Transformer Protection" circuit protects the output transformers in the event of a massive tube failure or user error.
- +B relay. Replaces the plate fuse and works in conjunction with the OTP-circuit to protect the amp against tube failure. This method is less intrusive sonically and the relay resets itself once the faulty tube is replaced.
As with all PrimaLuna components, the DiaLogue Premium Integrated is made by hand with the finest point-to-point wiring and quality equal to—or better than—any product you can buy at any price. All packaged in a high-gloss, hand-rubbed finish.
(8 Ohms, 1% THD)
|35 watts x 2 EL34
40 watts x 2 KT88
44 watts x 2 KT120
48 watts x 2 KT150
|Inputs||4 Pair RCA +
1 Pair HT Bypass
|Outputs||4 & 8 Ohm|
|Frequency Response||20Hz-30kHz +/- 0.5dB|
|THD (1W/1kHz)||< 1% @ full power|
|S/N Ratio||89 dB|
|Power Consumption||300 watts|
|Standard Tube Compliment||4 - 12AU7
4 - EL34
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||14.5" x 8" x 15.5"|