2012 Absolute Sound Editor's Choice Award winner!
Nothing demonstrates more convincingly Ortofon´s commitment to be the world´s last cartridge manufacturer than the ongoing development of new state-of-the-art models, and Ortofon will continue to refine upon the level of sound quality attainable from analogue recordings. Since 1948 Ortofon has introduced about 100 different moving coil models, and more are to follow. Contrary to other types of phono catridges, the moving coil principle is not suited for mass production. Each of the four coils contains between 11 an 24 turns of wire, depending on model, and has to be wound by hand under a microscope. The wire itself is much thinner than a human hair. The high degree of craftsmanship involved is one of the "secrets" behind Ortofon's reputation.
Details on the Ortofon Rondo Red The Rondo Red is a very homogeneous all round cartridge meaning that sound image will tend to less dynamic strength and smoother reproduction-working perfect with all sorts of not very complex music. The Rondo Red has a very fine polished elliptical diamond is mounted on a cylindrical aluminum cantilever. The cartridge is clearly out of the same family of sound as Bronze and Blue – all of them taking benefit from the wooden housings. Recommended load around 100 Ohm or even higher if added “air“ might be preferred.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec.: 0.5mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz: 2 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz: 22 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz: 15 dB
- Frequency range: 20-30.000 Hz
- Frequency response: 20-20.000 Hz ±2 dB
- FIM distortion at recommended tracking force, DIN 45.542: < 1%
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 80 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 15 µm/mN
- Stylus type: Nude elliptical Al. cantilever
- Equivalent stylus tip mass: 0,30 mg
- Tracking force range: 2-2,5 g (20-25 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 6 Ohm
- Recommended load impedance: 10-200 Ohm
- Cartridge body material: Grinded wood/Resin comp.
- Cartridge weight: 10,5 g