The Quintet Black is the best example of Quintet’s overall excellence.
The Quintet Black is graced with a Nude Shibata diamond, considered one of the best stylus profiles available, mounted on a high-performance Boron cantilever. The Shibata’s slim, highly polished profile allows an exceedingly wide contact area to the walls of the groove and ensures detailed and pure reproduction thoughout the spectrum, including even the most high frequency groove information. Unfettered by musical genre, the Quintet Black is the closest to Ortofon’s true accuracy of sound in the Quintet series
The Quintet Story
Nothing demonstrates Ortofon's long-standing resilience more than its commitment to the refinement of analogue sound quality and its continued development of new cartridge models. Since 1948 Ortofon has introduced about 100 different moving coil models, with our latest being the Quintet Series. We believe the cartridges in this new series are more than worthy successors to the long line of models that has made Ortofon the global leader in the manufacture and supply of phono cartridges.
The MC Quintet Series is a direct result of our continued research and innovation
The MC Quintet Series is congruent with Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration. A special ABS (Acrylonitrile/Butadiene/Styrene) thermoplastic material is used for manufacturing of the body. This light-weight, impact resistant material is very suitable for injection-moulding and provides a very durable scratch resistant surface. Neodymium magnets are implemented to achieve an optimal output. Low internal impedance makes the cartridge less sensitive to load and therefore ensures compatibility with the widest range of preamps and transformers. It is our aim to bring our customers many hours of new and surprising experiences in listening to their precious vinyl collection.
Ease of use
Top-mounting of the Quintet cartridges is easy and secure using the screws supplied. The aluminuim frame has threaded mounting holes and is fitted easily with the 5mm or 7mm screws depending on the thickness of the headshell. The Quintet series’ right angles, straight lines, stylus visibility and ample distance between the record surface and the cartridge’s bottom will make it easy to mount and align the cartridge and tonearm correctly. The Quintet Series gives excellent results with most common tonearms.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec: 0.3 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz: < 1.0 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz: > 23 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz: > 15 dB
- Frequency range at - 3dB: 20 - 25.000 Hz
- Frequency response: 20-20.000 Hz +/- 1.5 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 80 µm
- Compliance(dynamic, lateral): 15 µm/mN
- Stylus type: Nude Shibata on Boron cantilever
- Stylus tip radius: r/R 6/50 µm
- Tracking force range: 2.1-2.5 g (21-25 mN)
- Tracking force, recommended: 2.3 g (23 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20°
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 5 Ohm
- Recommended load impedance: > 20 Ohm
- Cartridge body material: ABS/Aluminium
- Coil wire material: Aucurum
- Cartridge colour: Black
- Cartridge weight: 9 g