Linear Tube Audio MZ2-S
Upscale Audio is stocking only the model with 3 Inputs and current production Tung-Sol 6SN7.
The -S model is our refinement of David Berning's original micro-ZOTL, adding a high-quality linear power supply that brings this amp's performance to another level.
Each board involves up to 9 hours of delicate work, including precise hand-winding of several proprietary components. This is far from populating a typical circuit board. After several days of testing, burning in, and re-testing, a case is prepared to an order's specifications–another couple hours of labor–and the final product receives more playing time and more testing, and is matched with a burned-in power supply.
Hand-built by our small team just outside of Washington, DC, each MZ2 is inherently unique; a design that resists mass-production and is completely worth the time and training required.
While technically an OTL amplifier, the MZ2 is an entirely different kind of circuit that is able to achieve low output impedance and low-current operation, which translates to easy matching to almost any headphone or speaker and a long tube life.
A new feature of the MZ2 is an on-board jumper that allows the user to switch between using 6SN7 and 12SN7 tubes.
The MZ2-S was designed in response to customer feedback and discussions about the amp. We wanted a “pre-rolled” tube amplifier that arrived with NOS tubes selected to match well with the circuit, so that the many people interested in tube rolling and old-stock tubes could get that experience without having to go through the uncertain and involved process of choosing and sourcing their own. The MZ2-S is our offering for a sub-$2000, end-game headphone amp, preamp, or low-power stereo amp that doesn’t ask for any upgrades.
- Amplifier class: Push-pull Class A, no feedback
- Sensitivity: 0.6V RMS [full output]
- Output impedance: (measured @ 0.5A, 60 Hz) 2 ohms
- Input impedance: 50k
- Power Supply Input: Manually switchable 120V(+/- 10%) / 220V(+/- 10%) 50-60hz operation
- Power Supply Output: 12VDC 2.5 amps
- Hum and noise: minimum 60mV RMS or 90dB below full output (20Hz-20kHz)
- Power consumption from ac power source: 33W
- Power output: with 4-ohm load: 1W, 1% THD, with 14-ohm load: 0.5W, 1% THD
- Channel separation: (4-ohm loads) 46dB, 100Hz-10kHz, (14-ohm loads): 54 dB, 100Hz-10kHz
- Frequency response full power: (4-ohm load) +0, -1dB 10Hz-20kHz, (14-ohm load): +0, -1dB 5Hz-50kHz,
- Voltage gain: (4-ohm load): 10.3dB, (14-ohm load): 12.4dB
- Size: Amplifier: 9 1/2 inches (24.1 cm)wide, 4 3/4 inches (12.0 cm) tall, 7 7/8 inches (19.7 cm) deep (including connectors); External PSU: 12" (30.48 cm) x 3.25" (8.26 cm) x 4.25" (10.8 cm)
- Net weight: 8.94 lbs (4.1 kg) - amplifier and external power supply)
- Finish: Aluminum case and faceplate w/ lexan top
- Tube complement per channel: NOS 6201/12AT7 input, NOS 12SN7/6SN7 output