"DragonFly Red and Black are the finest examples of everyman hi-fi to ever grace these pages. Their value quotients explode the dial."
– John Darko, DigitalAudioReview.net, Knockout Award
DragonFly Black: The Best Overall Under-$100 USB DAC/Headphone Amplifier Available
There's simply no better overall under-$100 DAC/headphone amp on the market than DragonFly Black. Period. Anchored by a 32-bit ESS 9010 Sabre DAC, and boasting the same first-rate headphone amp and analog volume control as the Product of the Year Award-winning DragonFly v1.2, Black outputs 1.2 volts – enough energy to drive all preamplifier input circuits and modestly efficient ‘phones. Upgradeable and ready for future protocol developments via complimentary desktop applications, Black sounds better than any previous DragonFly, costs much less, and adds smartphone compatibility to the mix. You'll be stunned at how massive an improvement Black makes to your digital files.
"Though clearly cut from the same cloth – the v1.2's strict balance, rhythmic intelligence and joie de vivre reveals itself in its successor – the Black makes ground on the legacy sound with more insight and dynamic impetus."
– What Hi-Fi?, five-star review and Best USB DAC Under £100
Apple and Android Compatibility: Simple Adapters Required for Use
DragonFly Black requires simple adapters to work with Apple and Android devices. For use with Apple iOS, you'll need Apple's Lightning-to-USB camera adapter. For Android, a Made for Android (OTG) adapter, such as the AudioQuest DragonTail USB Adapter, is required.
“If, like me, you only very occasionally want to hook up your computer, smartphone, or tablet to some high-quality headphones or a hi-fi system, the Black is probably going to be more than adequate for your needs and offers exceptional value.”
-Andrew Everard, Hi-Fi News, Outstanding Product review
“Both of AudioQuest's new DragonFlys offer high value and high sound quality—and I'm more than a little excited at the prospect of the upgradability of their software. Very strongly recommended.”
—Art Dudley, Stereophile
- Now decodes MQA after firmware update!
- USB Stick-Sized Digital-to-Analog Converter
- Plays all music files: MP3 to high-res
- Compatible with Apple and Windows PCs, as well as iOS and Android mobile devices (requires Apple Camera Adapter or Made for Android/OTG adaptor)
- Drives headphones directly
- Fixed output feeds preamp or AV receiver
- Asynchronous transfer ensures digital timing integrity
- Medium output (1.2 volts) drives a wide range of headphones
- 32-bit ESS 9010 DAC with minimum-phase filter
- Analog volume control